- what information may be collected when you access or use our Website or any of our mobile or other applications (“Applications”);
- how we use and share this information;
- how this information is secured; and
- under what circumstances we may disclose the information to third parties.
Depending on your activities when using or accessing our Service, you may from time-to-time be required to agree to additional or amended policies or terms and conditions.
Children’s privacy is important to us. We do not collect, use, transfer or otherwise manipulate any personal information provided unless strictly required to use our Services or as required by an applicable law. We may collect personal information at the time of subscription, registration, and for content generation. We may also seek a parent or guardian’s consent by email.
User subscription requires us to collect a valid email id to avail of our newsletter and other subscription based services.
Users, including users under the age of 18 or children, register with our sites and applications to view content, write for us, participate in contests, and engage in special features like video content, among other things.
During the registration process, we may ask the child to provide certain information to access and use our services as well as for security purposes, including a parent or guardian’s email address, the child’s name and gender, the child’s username, and password. We may also ask for birthdate, school grade and age. We strongly advise children never to provide any personal information such as first and last name in their usernames called ‘display name’. Please note that children can choose whether to share their information with us, but certain features cannot function without it. As a result, children may not be able to access certain features if required information has not been provided. We will not require a child to provide more information than is reasonably necessary in order to participate in an online activity.
If you believe your child is participating in an activity that collects personal information and you or another parent/guardian have NOT received an email providing notice or seeking your consent, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We will not use parent emails provided for parental consent purposes to market to the parent, unless the parent has expressly opted in to email marketing or has separately participated in an activity that allows for such email contact.
Content Generated by a Child
Our Services allow children to create and manipulate content. Some of these activities do not require children to provide any personal information and therefore may not result in notice to the parent or require parental consent. If an activity allows a child to insert personal information in their created content, we will either screen the submission to delete any personal information, or we will seek verifiable parental consent by email for the collection. Examples of created content that may include personal information are articles and quizzes. If, in addition to collecting content that includes personal information, we also plan to post the content publicly or share it with a third party, we will obtain parental consent.
Before publishing a child’s personal information, we first seek a parent or guardian’s consent by email. In the consent form we will explain what information we are collecting, how we plan to use it, how the parent can provide consent, and how the parent can revoke consent. If we do not receive parental consent within a reasonable time, we will delete the parent contact information and any other information collected from the child in connection with that activity. The best interest of your child is our guiding principle.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We typically collect two kinds of information about you when you use our Services:
- Personally Identifiable Information
- We define personally identifiable information as any information, provided by you to us, that may identify you such as your name, email ID and phone number. Such personal information may be used to specifically identify or contact you.
- In general, we do not automatically collect your personally identifiable information when you visit our Website or Applications. In certain circumstances, we may request, allow or otherwise provide you an opportunity to submit your personally identifiable information in connection with a feature, Project, promotion or some other aspect of our Services.
- You have the option to provide us your social media information while such as your Facebook Account Information and information that you authorize Facebook to share with us. The option for registering through social media has been provided for your convenience and is not mandatory for access and use of our Services. Facebook Account Information may include your name, email, gender, birthday, current city and profile picture URL. We may also collect or access social media information such as your contacts (Facebook Friends) only if authorized by you. Such authorized information will help you connect friends and contacts to our Services. It may also help us improve our services and deal with fraud. Similarly, we may also allow you to import data from other social media services such as Twitter and email service providers such as Gmail.
- Whether or not you provide personally identifiable information is your choice; however, this type of information may be required to enable certain features of our Website and Applications. For instance, you may: (a) provide your name, address, email address and phone number when registering for our Services; (b) receive communications from us with relevant information and articles; (c) provide information that may not identify you on its own (e.g. child’s age or grade), but may become so when combined with other information (e.g. child’s age, grade and name).
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information or Other Information
- We define non-personally identifiable information as any information that does not personally identify you. Such other information may include certain personally identifiable information that has been rendered anonymous.
- We obtain non-personally identifiable information about you from information that you provide us, either separately or together with your personally identifiable information. We also automatically collect certain non-personally identifiable information from you when you access or use our Services through your Device. Such other information may include, among other things, information about your mobile device, wireless carrier, IP addresses, the type of browser you are using, the third party website from which your visit originated, the operating system you are using, the domain name of your Internet Service Provider, search terms you use and how much you use our Services.
HOW WE USE & SHARE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
We use and share information collection from you in the following way:
- Personally Identifiable Information
The personally identifiable information you submit to us is generally used to provide access to our Services, carry out your requests, respond to your queries and generally provide you a better experience. It is only used for purposes directly associated with the context in which you provide the information. We may also use this information to contact you for a variety of reasons, such as customer service, providing you with relevant promotional information for our Services or communicating with you regarding content or information you or your child have posted or shared with us while using our Services.
You may opt-out from receiving future promotional information by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In general, we do not share your personal information with any third party except third parties directly associated with our website such as the payment portal we use and social media platforms or email service providers you have authorized access to while registering or sharing.
Specifically, during registration mandatory information is collected and used in the following manner irrespective of the mode of registration you choose (such as through Facebook or Gmail):-
- Name – To identify and communicate with you as authorized;
- Email ID – To enable us to communicate relevant information and respond to your queries as authorized; and
- Phone Number – To enable us to communicate relevant information and respond to your queries as authorized and as an alternate method of communication to your email ID. No promotional material will be communicated with you via this method unless authorized. It will not be shared or sold to any third-party without your consent.
- Other Information
We use other or non-personally identifiable information in a variety of ways. For example, to evaluate use of our Services (e.g. visits to our Website, use of our Applications), track viewership and engagement, understand your needs, carry out promotional activities and to improve our services. We may use such other information by itself or aggregate it with information we have obtained from other users or services. Please note that irrespective of how we use such other information your non-personally identifiable information (whether standing alone or aggregated) is anonymous information that does not personally identify you.
- IP Addresses – Your IP address is the number automatically assigned to your Device when you access the Internet. Web servers automatically identify your Device by its IP address. We use IP addresses for purposes of system administration, to report non-personal aggregate information to others, and to track the use of our Services. IP addresses are considered non-personally identifiable information and may also be shared as provided above. We do not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable, that is, your IP address will be logged on our servers but your identity will remain anonymous. We reserve the right to use IP addresses to identify you only if authorized by you or when it is necessary to enforce compliance with our policies or terms and conditions;
- Location – Your location or city determines which Services you have access to. This is limited by relevant laws and regulations.
- Grade – You are required to verify your school grade to access and use some of our Services.
- Age – You are required to verify your age to access and use some of our Services.
We do not knowingly collect or share personally identifiable information from children under the age of 18 without the consent of parents or legal guardians. While it is the responsibility of parents or legal guardians to ensure adequate supervision of any child registering on the website, we obtain explicit and written consent before sharing the child’s information on our Services.
If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18 and believe he or she has disclosed personally identifiable information to us please contact us at email@example.com. The child’s legal guardian may review and request deletion of his/her personally identifiable information as well as prohibit the use of that information.
For instance, necessary cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas, required for websites to function properly. It can be disabled from your browser settings. Analytical cookies help us improve our Services by collecting and reporting information on how to use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION SECURE
We have implemented reasonable security practices and procedures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Please be advised, however, that while we strive to protect your personally identifiable information and privacy, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online or through our Services, and are not responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your personally identifiable information. Your privacy is important to us and we will take the utmost care while accessing, storing or sharing or otherwise handling your personal information. In the unfortunate event that your personally identifiable information is compromised, we may notify you by email (at our sole and absolute discretion) to the last e-mail address you have provided us in the most expedient time reasonable under the circumstances; provided, however, delays in notification may occur while we take necessary measures to determine the scope of the breach and restore reasonable integrity to the system as well as for the legitimate needs of law enforcement if notification would impede a criminal investigation. From time to time we evaluate new technology for protecting information, and when appropriate, we upgrade our information security systems.
- Transfer of Assets
As we continue to develop our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires us or all (or substantially all) of our assets, the personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information we have about you will be transferred to and used by this acquiring entity, though we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your preferences are followed. Also, if any reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, all such information may be considered an asset of ours and as such may be sold or transferred to third parties.
- Legal Requirement
- fulfill a government request;
- conform with the requirements of the law or legal process;
- protect or defend our legal rights or property, our Services, or other users; or
- in an emergency to protect the health and safety of our customers or the general public.
Our Services may link to or contain links to other third party websites that we do not control or maintain. We are not responsible for the privacy practices employed by any third party website. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of all third party websites before submitting any personally identifiable information through these websites. We do not provide any links to advertisement or promotional websites that are not directly related to our Services.
If you see any links to unrelated websites on our Website or Applications please report the same to us at ____.
CONTACT & OPT-OUT INFORMATION
You may contact us as at firstname.lastname@example.org if:
(b) wish to view or make corrections to any personally identifiable information you have provided;
(c) want to opt-out from receiving future commercial correspondence, including emails, from us; or
(d) wish to withdraw your consent to sharing your personally identifiable information with others.
We seek to respond to queries and attempt at reaching a mutually satisfactory solution within a reasonable period of time, limited by our legal obligations. Please also note that we may not be able to fulfill certain requests while allowing you access to certain benefits and features of our Website.
We assure you that we will respond within a reasonable period of time to address your grievance or answer your queries.