If you love cricket, then here are some facts about Virat Kohli you’ll like to know. A Cricketing Legend Virat Kohli is a household name in India. He is one of the most successful cricketers of all time. Let’s know all about him and his life, his cricket records!
Virat Kohli – Early Life and Cricket Journey
Virat Kohli was born in New Delhi, India, on November 5, 1988.
He started playing cricket at a young age, and had a natural talent for the game. He played for the Delhi under-19 team.
In 2008, Kohli made his debut with the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He scored half-century on his debut and made a big impact!
That was the start. Over the next few years, Virat Kohli became one of the most valuable players in the IPL.
International Debut and Creating Records
In 2008, Kohli made his international debut for India against Sri Lanka. He scored a century in his first ODI match. That was the beginning of his rise – he has not looked back since.
Today, Virat Kohli is one of the most successful batsmen in Indian cricket history.
Virat Kohli: Records and Awards
A question that is often searched is: “Virat Kohli Cneturies”. If that’s your question, then here’s a quick answer. As of 2023, Virat Kohli has scored 50 ODI centuries, 29 hundreds in Tests and one in T20Is. So the total centuries of Virat Kohli is 80
Now a look at some other Virat Kohli records:
- He has scored over 13,000 runs in ODIs and over 8,500 runs in Tests (as of November 2023)
- He is also the only batsman in history to score double centuries in four consecutive Test matches.
- Kohli has been named the ICC ODI Player of the Year three times
- He has also won the Arjuna Award and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, two of the highest sporting honors in India.
- He was India’s under-19 World Cup-winning captain
- Has scored the fastest 10,000 runs in ODI cricket
- He has made the most centuries as captain
- In the 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup, Virat Kohli became the first player in history to score more than 700 runs in a single edition of the ODI World Cup. He broke Sachin Tendulkar’s record of 673 runs, which he had made in the 2003 World Cup.
Breaking another one of Tendulkar’s records, Virat Kohli has scored the most centuries in One Day International (ODI) cricket, with a total of 50 centuries as of November 2023. This was achieved during the 2023 Cricket World Cup.
Virat Kohli: A Role Model
Virat Kohli is a role model for young people around the world. A positive person, he is known for his dedication, discipline, and hard work.
He is involved in a number of charitable organizations, and he is also a vocal advocate for gender equality and mental health awareness.
Facts About Virat Kohli
1. Kohli is nicknamed “King Kohli” by his fans.
2. He is the first batsman in history to score a century against every Test-playing nation.
3. Virat Kohli is the only captain in IPL history to lead his team to the final three times. He is also the only captain to win the IPL trophy three times.
4. Kohli is a fitness fanatic, and he is known for his strict diet and workout regimen.
5. Kohli has over 260 million followers on Instagram (as of November 2023)
6. He co-founded a sports entertainment company named One8 Sports in 2014, which focuses on promoting non-cricket sports in India.
Some unknown facts about Virat Kohli
- Kohli loved both cricket and tennis at a young age and was once deciding which one to play!
- He founded the Virat Kohli Foundation that supports kids to play sports and also stay animals! (more on this below)
- Sachin Tendulkar was Kohli’s hero growing up, and his inspiration to play cricket.
- He also loves football and even has a stake in FC Goa
Virat Kohli: Diet
Virat Kohli is known for his strict diet and fitness regimen, which is an important factor in his peak performance on the cricket field.
Kohli follows a mainly vegetarian diet. His food is rich in protein and fiber, and he avoids processed foods and sugary drinks. He eats lots of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. He also includes protein sources like lentils, chickpeas, and tofu in his meals.
Virat Kohli: Educational Background
Virat Kohli went to Vishal Bharti Public School in New Delhi. He played a lot of cricket in school and joined the West Delhi Cricket Academy (WCDA) when he was nine years old.
Virat Kohli : Family
Virat Kohli’s father, Prem Kohli, was a criminal lawyer, and his mother, Saroj Kohli, is a homemaker. He has an older brother, Vikas, and an older sister, Bhawna. Kohli’s is married to Anushka Sharma and has a daughter.
His father was the biggest supporter of his cricket. He used to take him to the West Delhi Cricket Academy and to all cricket tournaments. He passed away in 2006. Virat decided to continue his father’s dream and played cricket with dedication and passion to reach where he has today.
Giving back to society
Virat Kohli feels strongly about fiving back to society and supports various causes.
Did you know that he, with his wife Anushka founded the Virat Kohli Foundation. The foundation works to support talented children in sports, helps tribal children to have better health through nutrition and also looks after stray animals.
The foundation’s Athlete Development Program (ADP) supports “talented and focused young individuals to realize their true potential as a sportsperson and in turn their dreams of excelling in their respective fields.”
Here were the facts about Virat Kohli for you to know. Tell us if we missed anything!
Better Your Child’s G.K. In 3 Minutes – Get This Free Newsletter
Get fun facts, simple and easy news, quizzes, and lots of other interesting things to read in your mailbox – for free! It’s what we call GK-on-the-go!