Written by Mantsha, a grade 9 student
International disabilities day is celebrated on the 3rd of December. It is an international observance that is promoted by the United Nations since 1992. This day plays a significant role in highlighting the problems faced by people who are disabled and provide solutions to the issues they face.
Why is it necessary to celebrate this day?
It’s important to spread awareness about disabilities, so people are more sympathetic to their problems and understand the disadvantages and challenges that the disabled face.
What are the challenges which disabled people face?
- Discrimination: people tend to treat the disabled differently (usually not in a nice manner).
- Not getting proper education: it is very hard to get an education if you are disabled, but today’s governments are helping some special needs students to get an education.
- Unemployment: the disabled find it hard to find employment as not many people give them jobs.
- Being disabled affects the whole family – this can be due to lack of earning and taking care of basic needs.
How can a person help with this problem?
- There are many ways to help people with disabilities. You can employ them in some way or the other, or also help by giving them donations so that they can fulfill some of their basic needs.
- You can give them some supplies too, like food, grain, clothes, books, etc.
- You can also help through any NGO
It is our collective responsibility to help those in need and those with special needs. And we should not do it only on one day of the year, but we should make it a part of our lives.
Want to write for I Kid You Not? We publish children’s writing.
Reach out at: email@example.com