How People Around The World Are Helping Ukrainians
Written by Nihal Singh Dhingra, a grade 10 student.
When President Putin started his military invasion into Ukraine and an impending war loomed ahead, people from around the world took a stance against it…
Written by Nihal Singh Dhingra, a grade 10 student
When President Putin started his military invasion into Ukraine and an impending war loomed ahead, people from around the world took a stance against it. Many protests were held around the globe in major cities with millions taking part in it. Some raised funds others donated in kind. Here are some acts of kindness that a few good Samaritans have done.
- A Ukrainian-owned bakery in Texas – Laika Cheesecakes and Expresso, donated every dollar earned over the weekend sales to the victims of war. People in the city of Saint Antonio made it possible to raise over 70,000$ by standing in the queue which snaked over several blocks.
- Polish mothers in solidarity with their Ukrainian counterparts left strollers parked at a train station for those who fled the war-torn country. A powerful image captured by a photojournalist made it possible for the world to see the kindness in humanity.
- Two Harvard teens Avi Schiffmann and Marco Burstein, a coding expert, set up a website – ‘Ukraine Take Shelter’. This allows refugees to connect with possible hosts with available accommodations in neighbouring countries. The accommodations range from a single couch to a barn and even a university that could fit hundreds!
- A Ukrainian Canadian journalist-Christian Borys, set up a website selling hoodies, t-shirts, stickers, etc., and overnight received thousands of orders online. All sales from the Saint Javelin store are donated to charity for orphans of war heroes.
- Many donated in cryptocurrency directly to the Ukrainian government.
The list is endless. It’s always delightful to see such wholesome gestures around the world. With war upon us, it takes our mind off the devastating impact it has left.
I Kid You Not now has a large readership across India and also parts of the world. If you want to write for us, you can submit your story here. You can also apply to become a news anchor. Apply here