Both autobiography and a memoir talk about someone’s life, but there’s a difference..
An autobiography is written by a person about his or her own life. It’s a first-person point of view of their entire life. It comes from a Greek word that means, “self-life write”.
Also, autobiographies tend to be more formal than memoirs and are told according to a chronology (events in the order they took place).
Usually, autobiographies are written by famous people and they document their life – things like their early life, rise to fame, important events, etc.
Memoirs are those in which someone writes about his or her life’s particular experiences. It usually talks about a particular event or part of their life. People who write memoirs normally use their memories to tell an engaging story. Unlike autobiographies, they don’t tell about events in a chronological manner.
The word memoir (pronounced mem-o-r) comes from a French for memory.
Some examples of great autobiographies and memoirs
- My Experiments with Truth – Mahatama Gandhi
- The Story of My Life by Helen Keller
- The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
Some famous memoirs..
- All Creatures Great and Small: The Warm and Joyful Memoirs of the World’s Most Beloved Animal Doctor
- Tuesdays With Morrie: An old man, a young man, and life’s greatest lesson
Know of any you’ve read? Tell us 🙂
I Kid You Not now has a large readership across India and also parts of the world. If you want to write for us, you can submit your story here. You can also apply to become a news anchor. Apply here